Calvary Baptist Church, at 801 W. Marshall Street, is inviting the community to join them on Saturday, June 23, at 10:30 a.m. to celebrate the church's 125 years of ministry by opening the time capsule placed in the cornerstone in 1902. The rain date for the event will be Saturday, June 30.
According to The Times Herald, the church was founded as a mission church and originally located across from the Montgomery County Courthouse, but in 1887 a new mission church, called “Second Baptist,” was created. That group met in a barn at the corner of Marshall Street and Haws Avenue and in 1902, the cornerstone was laid for a new church at that location. That cornerstone reportedly came from Mt. Calvary in Palestine, which is why the church chose the name Calvary.