Former St. Paul's Priest is Removed From Ministry
Monsignor George J. Mazzotta, who served in Norristown's Saint Paul's Parish from 1985 to 1988 and Conshohocken's Saints Cosmas and Damian Parish in 1988.
According to a release issued by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, two more men, Monsignor George J. Mazzotta and Monsignor Hugh P. Cambell, were deemed unsuitable for ministry in the ongoing scandal of sexual abuse allegations being investigated by the Archdiocese.
Mazzotta served at St. Paul's in East Norriton from 1985 to 1988 and Saints Cosmas and Damian Parish in Conshohocken in 1988. He was most recently stationed at Stella Maris Parish in Philadelphia and Saint Madeline Parish in Ridley Park. Mazzotta has been found unsuitable for ministry following a substantiated allegation of sexual abuse of a minor.
The Archdiocese reportedly received the original allegation in May 2010 that Mazzotta "sexually abused a minor more than 40 years ago" and reported it to law enforcement. Cardinal Rigali relieved him of his assignment pending completion of the formal investigation. Mazzotta was removed from his residence at Stella Maris Parish and relocated to Villa Saint Joseph in Darby, a home for retired priests. Since that time, Mazzotta has not been permitted to exercise his public ministry, wear clerical garb, or present himself publicly as a priest. According to the Archdiocese's release, following Archbishop Chaput's determination of unsuitability for ministry, Mazzotta has agreed to accept a supervised life of prayer and penance.
Stella Maris and Saint Madeline parishes were informed of the Archdiocese's decision and counselors were present at Stella Maris Parish.
The 73-year-old Mazzotta was ordained in 1966. He served at the following parishes and schools:
- Saint Joseph, Downingtown (1966-1971);
- Epiphany of Our Lord, Philadelphia and Saint Maria Goretti High School (1971-1976);
- Saint Gabriel, Philadelphia (1976-1978);
- Saint Clement, Philadelphia (1978-1980);
- Saint Eugene, Primos (1980-1985);
- Saint Paul, Norristown (1985-1988);
- Saints Cosmas & Damian, Conshohocken (June 1988 - Nov. 1988);
- Saint Robert Bellarmine, Warrington (1988-1990);
- Mother of Divine Grace, Philadelphia (1990-1997);
- Saint Madeline, Ridley Park (1997-2008);
- Stella Maris, Philadelphia (2008-2010).
Cambell, who retired in 2007 and moved to a private residence, has been found not suitable for ministry following a December 2011 report he made of his sexual abuse of a minor. Campbell was placed on administrative leave and has not been permitted to exercise his public ministry, wear clerical garb, or present himself publicly as a priest. Following Archbishop Chaput's determination of unsuitability, Campbell also agreed to accept a supervised life of prayer and penance.
The 77-year-old Campbell was ordained in 1961 and served at the following parishes and schools:
- Nativity B.V.M., Media (1961-1966);
- Saint Agnes, West Chester (1966-1968);
- Newman Chaplain at West Chester University (1968-1986);
- Newman Chaplain at Chester County Hospital School of Nursing (1968-1986);
- Newman Chaplain at Cheyney University (1971-1986);
- Saint Maximilian Kolbe, West Chester (1986-2007).
If you would like to report an allegation of sexual abuse, contact your local law enforcement agency and/or the Office for Investigations at 1-800-932-0313.
- Archdiocese Removes Five Priests From Service
- Former St. Titus Altar Boy Testifies Against Priest
- Catholic Blog Releases Archdiocese List of Priests Alleged of Misconduct
- Friends and Supporters of Father Bier Want More Info from Archdiocese
- Archdiocese: Springfield Pastor's Situation Being Examined
- Former St. Patrick's Pastor Removed From His New Parish
- County Coroner: Bevilacqua Died of Natural Causes
- Bevilacqua's Cause of Death to Be Announced
- Probe of Bevilacqua's Death Continues