Interim Police Chief Contract Vote Rescheduled for Thursday
An attempt to approve and sign the contract with Capt. Willie Richet Monday night was derailed when only two council members were available to make the special meeting.
Norristown Municipal Council plans to meets Thursday, Feb. 28, at 6 p.m. in Norristown Municipal Hall, 235 East Airy Street, for a special meeting to approve the contract for interim chief of police. Current Deputy Police Chief Capt. Willie Richet, who is scheduled to retire that, will be filling the position until a permanent replacement can be found.
The meeting was originally scheduled for Monday night, but only Council President Gary Simpson and Councilwoman Linda Christian were able to attend the meeting. As a result, council lacked the four-member quorum needed to take action.
Legal requirements that specify the meeting must be advertised in a newspaper of record with appropriate notice meant that Thursday was the soonest the meeting could be rescheduled for.
The contract doesn't specify a length of service, but according to Municipal Manager Dave Forrest, either party can terminate the contract with 14 days notice. According to the terms of the contract, Capt. Richet will be paid $4,072.80 every two weeks for his term in the position.
The contract will take effect on Friday, March 1. [Editorial note: For more details, you can download a copy of the contract in our PDF section.]
Both Capt. Richet and current Police Chief Russell Bono are scheduled to retire this Thursday, Feb. 28.
Two public meetings have been scheduled to enlist residents' input into the search process for a new chief of police – Thursday, March 7, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library at 1001 Powell Street and Thursday, March 14, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Montgomery County Human Services Center at 1430 DeKalb Street.
- Police Chief Search Continues, Public Meetings Scheduled
- Norristown Police Chief Position Gets 21 Resumes So Far
- Municipality Advertises for New Police Chief
- Council Appoints Capt. Richet Interim Police Chief
- Norristown Council Appoints Committee to Conduct Police Chief Search
- Concerned Residents Call for National Search for New Police Chief
- No Word From Council on New Chief of Police as Deadline Approaches
- Norristown Searching For New Chief, Deputy Chief of Police