One Armed Robber in Custody, Another Identified, Police Say
At least one individual police say is involved in a recent armed robbery in Norristown is currently in custody and a warrant is being issued for second individual.
A string of armed robberies that has plagued the Norristown area in recent weeks may be coming to end.
Norristown Police Detective Lt. Michael Crescitelli told Patch that one person is currently in custody and being charged in connection with the March 15 robbery of Arianitas Mini Market at 1353 Markley Street. A second suspect has also been identified and a warrant is being issued for his arrest, Lt. Crescitelli said.
"These two individuals will most likely be charged in numerous armed commercial robberies that occurred in Norristown and surrounding townships," Lt. Crescitelli wrote in an email to Patch.
Police believe the same two may be responsible for nearly a dozen armed robberies in the Norristown area:
- On Feb. 19, two armed men reportedly robbed a women outside her apartment building in the 200 block of Centre Avenue in West Norriton.
- On Feb. 27, two armed men robbed the American Gasoline Store on Ridge Pike in Plymouth.
- On March 2, two armed men robbed the Exxon Service Station at West Main Street and Forrest Avenue.
- On Wednesday, March 6, two armed men robbed three people Wednesday night at Alexa's Mexican Market on West Main Street.
- On Sunday, March 10, two armed men held up both the Getty Gas Station at Johnson Highway and Arch Street and another small market at DeKalb and Jacoby streets.
- On Thursday, March 14, two armed men robbed the Citgo Gas Station at 1703 Markley Street.
- On Friday, March 15, two armed men robbed Arianitas Mini Market at 1353 Markley Street. On the same evening, less than an hour later, three men were robbed at gunpoint at America's Best Value Inn at West Main and Knox Streets. Two of the suspects described in that robbery matched the description of the two men in the Arianitas hold up.
- On Wednesday, March 20, two armed men robbed the Sunoco A-Plus at West Main Street and Haws Avenue.
Police are not releasing the identities or photos of either individual at this time as the investigation is ongoing. Detectives hope to have more information available to the public next week.
Norristown Patch will update this story as more information becomes available.
- Sunoco A-Plus Robbed at Gunpoint Early Wednesday Morning
- Robbery, Shots Fired at America's Best Value Inn Under Investigation
- Armed Robbery at New Markley Street Mini-Mart Under Investigation
- Armed Robbery at Markley Street Citgo Under Investigation
- Two Armed Robberies, Shots Fired Under Investigation Sunday Night
- Armed Robbers Hold Up Alexa's Market on West Main
- Armed Robbery Probed at West Norriton Exxon
- Alleged Armed Robbers Sought by West Norriton Police