My daughter developed rosacea at the age of 13. So just as I sought out safe treatments for my son’s eczema so went for my daughter’s new skin disorder. At the ripe age of 13 and in JR High School, it was an embarrassment and self esteem issue as well. My heart ached watching her trying to cover it up with liquid make – up which would just peal off. Once again, I was researching this time to ease my daughter’s discomfort safely and without drugs. To my surprise many of the same essential oils also help anti – aging . . well, this is great!! Its going to help me too! The “Love My Face” Collection was born.
Rosacea is an inflammatory skin disorder. Initially it may appear as redness like sunburn on the face, but over time gets darker and may eventually develops bumps and pimples on the face and thickened skin.
Rosacea is also on the same page as Acne, surprising that many skin care specialist will recommend the same products for rosacea that they would for Acne. They are both considered “inflammatory” skin issues.
Rosacea is a frustrating skin condition that causes redness and inflammation of the cheeks, nose, chin, forehead, or eyelids. It is a condition that for many sufferers lowers self esteem and self confidence. In fact, many individuals who suffer with rosacea tell me that they avoid being out in public and social situations all together.
Unfortunately, there is no cure but there are steps you can take to control the symptoms and lessen the breakouts that will help you feel and look better.
Through my experiences these are the steps I highly recommend to combat rosacea safely.
- LED light therapy is actually very effective at relieving the signs of rosacea. Studies have shown that LEDs in red and infrared light wavelengths have an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin. Thereby reducing the embarrassing redness and inflammation that rosacea causes. The rosacea symptoms should start to heal and become less inflamed with regular treatments.
- Avoid sun exposure and wear a hat. Sunscreen is good if you are able to apply it according to the SPF on the label. I found most people find this an inconvenience and costly expense. However, the sun is a major contributor in bringing forth the signs of rosacea. I make a SLS, Paraben & Gluten free sun block that has Zinc Oxide in it which is one of the more natural cures, but it will leave a slight white film on your face, we use it and it last all day without reapplying it. It is available during the summer months or by request during the off season.
- Prolonged exertion or exercise in hot weather will naturally aggravate rosacea. Exercise is important. If you can, stay indoors in a cooler environment while working out.
- Reducing your stress level. Deep breathing, meditation, yoga, or other relaxation techniques into your daily lifestyle will benefit even more than just the rosacea.
- Cut back on the amount of spicy foods you consume. Easier said than done . . . we all need a spice in our lives. Keeping tract of your food triggers and avoiding them. Taking an anti inflammatory supplement greatly helps, I recommend – Vita Logic’s Anti Inflammatory.
- Limit your alcohol intake, especially red wine, beer, bourbon, gin, vodka, or champagne. All are rosacea triggers.
- Avoid hot drinks such as hot cider, hot chocolate, tea, and coffee too. (so it is written . . . if you cant let go of the hot maybe try luke warm instead)
- Use skin care products that are designed to comfort and soothe rosacea prone skin. SLS Free products and natural essential oils that help with rosacea including but not limited to: Evening Primrose, Borage Seed Oil, Rose Hip Oil – these are carrier oils and safe to put directly unto your skin. Adding a few drops Lavender or chamomile Essential Oils (not fragrance oils) to about 1 ounce of the carrier oils will have a soothing effect. I make a SLS free moisturizing lotion with Tea Tree & Aloe Vera (by request) – that will significantly helps with the inflammation. Tea Tree Soap will also help with the inflammation.
Since everyone’s case is slightly different, in most cases if these steps are taken, you will be able to control your rosacea without harmful drugs or harsh treatments. We work with our clients to find the right combination to help them, sometimes it takes more than one try, but the results are always the same. Better and Improved!
Before starting any skincare regiment, please check with your doctor.
Thanks for visiting and LOVE YOUR SKIN!
Candy St Martine-Pack, Certified Aromatherapist – Green Street Luxuries