Once Again, GNPAL wants to thank everyone that made this year’s Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Day of Service at successful.
We knew that we would have a great turnout, as we have had the past two years and this year was no different. The level of diversity that was vividly portrayed on Jan. 16, surpassed our expectations again this year! This vivid illustration of human commitment is the start of living the "Dream" as a reality, but it is only the beginning. It truly is what we should all expect, in all communities, boards, corporations, agencies and municipalities, at every level, throughout the year, 24/7/365 – not just when commemorating Dr. Martin Luther King's birthday.
We can’t thank everyone, individually, who participated, but certainly want to acknowledge the diverse participation, making this a great turnout of more than 200 volunteers, as follows:
- Brett Wells, for continuing to provide the latitude to make this a Great Expanded Event for the Greater Norristown Community and beyond!
- Group leaders Angie Poulin, Calvin and Darcel Davenger, Carolyn White, Greg Hodges, Lisa Agnew and Michael Deshields.
- Chick-fil-A for the “Kick-Off” breakfast.
- for the lunch.
- Our Community Day of Service Partners representing Norristown: Carson Valley Children's Aid (CVCA) and .
- Montgomery County Community College students and staff, Megan Green of Villanova University, West Chester University and Widener University.
- The high school students from Cheltenham, Harrington and Norristown Area High School.
- Elementary students from Welsh Valley Middle School and Bridgeport Elementary.
- Youth Groups: GNPAL Track Team Members, African-American Scholars (CHS), KAPPA League, Back Talk (FS) and Upward Bound (MCCC).
- Companies/Employers: Jackson-Cross Partners, Einstein-Montgomery, Montgomery County and Family Services.
- Alumni Frats/Sorors: Kappa Alpha Psi – Norristown Chapter; Zeta Phi Beta-Kappa Omega Zeta/Beta Delta Zeta/Tau Eta Zeta Chapters; Wanda D.Graham/Delta Sigma Theta-Valley Forge Chapter; SGRho and Phi Beta Sigma.
- Public Officials & Staff: State Rep. Matt Bradford/Staff, Montgomery County Treasurer Jason Salus and staff and Norristown Council President Gary Simpson.
- The Media: Norristown Patch and .
- Organizations: MLK 365 and Family Services.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who gave his life for all Citizens of the United States and the World, in anticipation for Justice For All!
Lastly, much appreciation to a Higher Being, greater than ourselves, who brought us all together for the community’s benefit.
Thank you, all, for your continued assistance, participation and support of Greater Norristown Police Athletic League (GNPAL).
Kenneth A. Fennal, Program Director,