Code Enforcement Manager Joseph Januzelli confirmed with Norristown Patch that a wood stove that brought firefighters out to Hamilton and Marshall streets on Tuesday, Jan. 15, was perfectly safe and the homeowner is now in the process of getting the necessary permit.
Januzelli said he met with the homeowner and their contractor Thursday morning and the stove was properly installed and not a hazard to anyone. He confirmed that earlier reports that the homeowner was "cited" were incorrect. According to Januzelli, the homeowner was contacted about the matter, but never officially cited. He said the lack of a permit for the stove was accidental on the part of the homeowner.
"There was no ill intent," said Januzelli. "Just an oversight."
Januzelli went on to praise the contractor for the excellent work and noted the stove was actually very effective as a home heating element.
The Norristown Fire Department responded to a report of a fire at a home on the corner of Hamilton and Marshall streets at approximately 2:45 p.m. on Tuesday, Jan 15. On the scene, firefighters discovered not a fire, but a wood pellet stove that Norristown Fire Chief Thomas O'Donnel said had brought his firefighters to the address on several occasions.
According to Chief O'Donnell, the homeowner installed the stove without getting the required permits and has been cited previously. A code enforcement official was called to scene again Tuesday afternoon.
Code Enforcement Manager Joseph Januzelli confirmed that the owner failed to get permits required to install the stove. Januzelli told Norristown Patch he would be meeting with the homeowner and a contractor on Thursday to work with them on bringing the home up to code and getting the necessary permits for the stove.