UPDATE: 9:20 a.m. – According to Norristown Fire Chief Thomas O'Donnell, the fire on the 100 block of West Marshall Street early Saturday morning was caused by a juvenile who had been playing with matches and accidentally lit a mattress in a second floor front bedroom on fire. At the time of the incident, an infant was sleeping in a crib in the room
"Thanks to a quick-thinking mother and working smoke detector, a tragedy was averted," said Chief O'Donnell.
Chief O'Donnell reports no one was injured in the incident.
Fire fighters responded to the scene just after midnight on Saturday, Aug. 4, to find flames and heavy smoke coming from the front of the building and immediately began to search the building for anyone inside. Earlier reports had indicate that a resident may still be trapped inside the building at the time of the fire. The building was quickly cleared and the fire was brought under control within 10 minutes.
Photos courtesy of the Norristown Fire Department.
UPDATE: 12:30 a.m. – Norristown Fire Department reportedly has the fire under control and are searching the building for any possible injured parties.
UPDATE: 12:20 a.m. – Breaking News Network and scanner reports indicate that police have one suspect in custody in connection with the fire at 146 West Marshall Street. The fire is reportedly being investigated as a possible arson incident according to BNN.
So far, no victims or emergency responders have been reported injured in the incident.
The Norristown Fire Department is on the scene at a fire on the 100 block of West Marshall Street reported just after midnight. Heavy smoke is reported coming from the front of the second story and firefighters are searching the building for a resident that may be trapped inside.
Norristown Patch will have info as it becomes available.