.

Electrical Fire Shuts Down West Main Street Tuesday

No one was reported injured in a residential fire the destroyed a second floor apartment and left four families homeless.

The 600 block of West Main Street in Norristown was shut down for several hours during rush hour on Tuesday, April 2, while firefighters battled a house fire that left four families homeless.

Units from the Norristown Fire Department, Jefferson Fire Company, Norriton Fire Engine Company and Plymouth Fire Company, as well as Plymouth Community Ambulance Company responded to the call for a house fire at 3:50 p.m. and found heavy smoke pouring from the second floor front bedroom of the three-story structure.

According to Norristown Fire Chief Thomas O'Donnell, the fire started when a floor-mounted electrical receptacle malfunctioned and sparks came into contact with a mattress and other combustibles.

Firefighters managed to bring the fire under control quickly and no one was injured in the incident, though evacuating residents became difficult when several attempted to re-enter the building to rescue pets and gather belongings.

The building has been condemned by Norristown's Code Enforcement Department and the American Red Cross are assisting four families with eight adults and five children who were left homeless by the fire.

---

Original story:

Firefighters are battling a house fire on the 600 block of West Main St. The residential building houses several apartments and the fire appears to be on the upper floors of the building.

Firefighters form Norristown, Plymouth, Jefferson, and Norriton Fire Departments continue to work on the fire, breaking through the interior walls of the building to put out the smoldering flames.

Main Street is currently closed between George and Haws Streets while emergency services workers attend to the fire.

Norristown Patch will update as more information becomes available.

jxjipper April 03, 2013 at 07:24 PM
no names of residents, a mattress on the floor, sounds like another house that should have been condemned by code enforcement years ago. Can Patch find out who did and when was the last inspection? My guess is there's negligence by Code Enforcement and the owner. It's better than 50/50 that you're not even allowed to have a floor mounted outlet in a rental unit.
Amy Kercher April 03, 2013 at 09:07 PM
wow, 4 families in a single family sized home .Over crowding? Illegal electric hook ups?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »