A kitchen fire gutted a home in Lower Merion's Villanova section Friday night, injuring two residents — one of whom was a 102-year-old woman — and the firefighter who saved them, authorities said.
The fire was reported about 6:45 p.m. at 2231 N. Stone Ridge Lane, according to Montgomery County emergency dispatch. Tom Hayden, chief of the Merion Fire Co. of Ardmore, arrived at the scene first in his own car with equipment, said Dan Kincade, chief of .
Hayden helped the two residents out of the burning home; a third resident was already outside on the lawn, Kincade said. Hayden and two residents were hospitalized for what was believed to be smoke inhalation, Kincade said. Their medical conditions were not immediately known.
The home is now uninhabitable, Kincade said. Firefighters had to open walls in the kitchen, where there was heavy fire and significant damage seen after the fire was out.
Among the companies responding were Gladwyne, Bryn Mawr and Merion fire companies, Lower Merion Township's fire and police departments and the Narberth and Lafayette ambulance units.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly identified a victim; the two residents rescued from inside the home were both women.