Norristown Municipal Council meets tonight at 6 p.m. in Norristown Municipal Hall, 235 East Airy Street, for a special meeting to approve the contract for interim chief of police. Current Deputy Police Chief Capt. Willie Richet, who is scheduled to retire on Thursday, will be filling the position until a permanent replacement can be found.
The contract doesn't specify a length of service, but according to Municipal Manager Dave Forrest, either party can terminate the contract with 14 days notice. According to the terms of the contract, Capt. Richet will be paid $4,072 every two weeks for his term in the position.
The contract will take effect on Friday, March 1.
Both Capt. Richet and current Police Chief Russell Bono are scheduled to retire this Thursday, Feb. 28.
Two public meetings have been scheduled to enlist residents' input into the search process for a new chief of police – Thursday, March 7, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library at 1001 Powell Street and Thursday, March 14, from 6 to 7:30 p.m. at the Montgomery County Human Services Center at 1430 DeKalb Street.
- Norristown Police Chief Position Gets 21 Resumes So Far
- Municipality Advertises for New Police Chief
- Council Appoints Capt. Richet Interim Police Chief
- Norristown Council Appoints Committee to Conduct Police Chief Search
- Concerned Residents Call for National Search for New Police Chief
- No Word From Council on New Chief of Police as Deadline Approaches