Wednesday, Jan. 10, was a special night for the nine seniors on 's Wrestling Team. Parents got flowers, there was a picture cake, there were reporters, there were lots of cameras and a few balloons too. A couple of guys even had cheering sections and some signs.
Most importantly though, was that tonight would be these seniors' last chance to walk on the water. The big blue mat known as "The Ocean" is an absolute beast to set up and put away and the seniors proved that they would be just as beastly.
After the celebratory festivities at the beginning of the match, it was time to get down to business with Upper Moreland. The Vikings came into town looking to get a claim to the Suburban One American Title, but Harner thinks it's his and he doesn't like to share. His boys were prepared to do what they had to do so that the title stays where he thinks it should be – with him. His boys made sure of that by posting a 45-31 victory over the Vikings and an unprecedented fourth Suburban One American League Title in a row.
It started out with little Springer at 138, he wasted no time in showcasing his favorite move, the headlock. A few seconds later, we were onto the next match. Senior Joe Rowland wrestled tough at 145 as did Freshman Murrill Robinson at 152 but they fell short. The Vikings took a 10-6 lead, but that is where the meat of the order took charge and the Eagles never looked back.
At 160, Brett Harner got a 1st period pin. Shane Springer copied him at 170. Juan Carbajal continued the same at 182. Tyler Letrinko recorded a major at 195 and Jesse Prante got a Tech Fall at 220. Larry Gordon pleased the crowd by going Springer style and getting the pin in :34 at 285. The Eagles gave up a forfeit at 106 and Zack Fuentes shut the door with a pin at 113. At that point it was all over but the cutting of the cake. Just like wrestlers, there were no leftovers or even crumbs, just fond memories of their last night at home.
Saying goodbye and taking their last swim in "The Ocean" were:
- Kelvin (BackAttack) Howard
- Chris (Rain-Man) Raimondo
- Joe (JoRo) Rowland
- Shawn (Strawbridge) Trowbridge
- Shane (Sha-Mazing) Springer
- Larry (L.J.) Gordon
- Tyler (Trink Nasty) Letrinko,
- Juan (Carbajalski) Carbajal
- Jesse (The Body) Prante
The boys leave the Norristown fans with some words of advice that they have used since winning a midget football championship when they were nine: "It Just Dosen't Matter!" Coincidentally, Harner was their coach then too and Springer was an assistant.
Final Score: Norristown, 45-Upper Moreland, 31
- 138 - Mike Springer pinned Anthony DeLaurentis, 1:27 (6-0)
- 145 - Anthony Dill maj. dec. Joe Rowland, 11-0 (6-4)
- 152 - Justin Hester pinned Murrill Robinson, 1:40 (6-10)
- 160 - Brett Harner pinned Ken Register, 1:02 (12-10)
- 170 - Shane Springer pinned Paul Scott, 1:05 (18-10)
- 182 - Juan Carbajal pinned Chris Biehl, 1:20 (24-10)
- 195 - Tyler Letrinko maj. dec. Zach Beben, 10-2 (28-10)
- 220 - Jesse Prante won by tech. fall over Sebastian Medina, 15-0 (33-10)
- 285 - Larry Gordon pinned Andy Rose, 0:34 (39-10)
- 106 - Jake Johnson won by forfeit (39-16)
- 113 - Zach Fuentes pinned Tom Lload, 2:49 (45-16)
- 120 - Chris Fleming dec. Kelvin Howard, 6-2 (45-19)
- 126 - Zack Lyall pinned Dan Limbauan, 1:24 (45-25)
- 132 - Bob Harmon pinned Nick Soldano, 3:05 (45-31)