Thursday, January 3, 2013
Neighbors were evacuated from the 100 block of West Hartranft Boulevard Thursday afternoon after residents reported a strong order of gas in the area.
UPDATE: [5:35 p.m.] A PECO representative confirmed that they are now letting residents return to their homes after being evacuated for a gas leak in the 100 West Hartranft Boulevard. Crews are still working to cap the leak and clean up the scene, but are checking houses for residents' safety before allowing them to enter. According to The Times Herald, a total of 15 customers were affected by the service shut off. --- UPDATE: [5 p.m.] Firefighters from Norriton Fire Engine Company have secured the scene of the gas leak in the 100 block of West Hartranft Boulevard.in East Norriton. Fire Chief James Staufenberg said PECO crews have taken over operations on the scene and are digging to pinpoint the leak and plug it. A PECO representative …
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
West Norriton Fire Department confirms the scene is under control.
A representative from the West Norriton Fire Department confirmed a gas leak that had shut down the neighborhoods surrounding West Marshall Street and Colonial Avenue this afternoon has been capped and residents who were evacuated have returned to their homes. Neighbors were evacuated shortly before 1 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon when a plumber working on a sewer line at a home in the 100 block of Colonial Avenue accidentally ruptured an underground gas line. There was no fire or explosion resulting from the rupture. "A plumber was digging a hole and as he was pulling the dirt out, a rock fell out of the bucket and hit the [gas] line and broke the line,” Jefferson Fire Company Chief Kevin Guirate told The Times Herald. Homeowner Rich Russo, …
West Norriton neighborhood on lock-down until a natural gas leak can be put under control.
Update 1:45 p.m.: A gas main was struck by a digging plumber at a home on Colonial Avenue at West Marshall Street, confirms homeowner Rich Russo. He said the plumber was working at his home at the time of the incident. The gas main was struck, creating a rapid and abudant leak of natural gas, which is currently causing the odor and sounds in the area. Crews are blocking traffic in the area Marshall Street Elementary. Emergency crews report no one was injured, but are standing by in the event of the need. Some crews were called away to a nearby car fire reported at Egypt and Main streets in West Norriton, which also necessitated emegency assistance. PECO teams are looking to clog the main, but are unsure yet as to how long the repair will …
Wednesday, March 7, 2012
According to officials, routine excavation work in the area uncovered a leak near the intersection of Markley Street and Johnson Highway.
Traffic at Markley Street and Johnson Highway was interrupted this afternoon as PECO crews worked to close a leak at the intersection. According to a PECO official, PECO workers performing routine maintenance work in the area discovered the leak at approximately 2:15 p.m. while they were excavating. "They were excavating around the gas distribution line," said a PECO official. "And as they were excavating, there was a crack in the line. They are making repairs to those cracks." According to PECO, the workers on site did not cause the damage. "We didn't dig into the main," said the official. "We were doing routine maintenance." Reportedly, no customers were affected by the leak.