Tuesday, April 2, 2013
No one was reported injured in a residential fire the destroyed a second floor apartment and left four families homeless.
The 600 block of West Main Street in Norristown was shut down for several hours during rush hour on Tuesday, April 2, while firefighters battled a house fire that left four families homeless. Units from the Norristown Fire Department, Jefferson Fire Company, Norriton Fire Engine Company and Plymouth Fire Company, as well as Plymouth Community Ambulance Company responded to the call for a house fire at 3:50 p.m. and found heavy smoke pouring from the second floor front bedroom of the three-story structure. According to Norristown Fire Chief Thomas O'Donnell, the fire started when a floor-mounted electrical receptacle malfunctioned and sparks came into contact with a mattress and other combustibles. Firefighters managed to bring the fire …
Monday, January 21, 2013
The woman who was rescued by firefighters from a fire at her West Norriton home on Saturday died of her injuries on Sunday.
According to The Times Herald, the elderly woman who was rescued from a burning home in West Norriton early Saturday morning has died of her injuries. According to her obituary on Legacy.com, Vera "Babe" Cavello, nee Lombardo, died at Temple Burn Center in Philadelphia from injuries she sustained in the fire at her home. She was 90 years old. Cavello was born in Norristown and had previously worked at the Hoisey's Nill and the Lombardo Laundromat in Norristown. She is survived by four sons, a daughter and six grandchildren. Nicholas Cavello, her son, was also injured in the blaze, but was reportedly released from the hospital on Sunday. Read Vera Cavello's obituary here and read more about the fire and her rescue here. You can read the …
Saturday, January 19, 2013
Jefferson Fire Company, with assistance from Norristown and East Norriton companies, battled a house fire on Sterigere Street in West Norriton early Saturday morning.
UPDATE: [1/19/13; 12:30 p.m.] According to West Norriton Fire Chief Kevin Guirate, firefighters from Jefferson Fire Company, with assistance from the Norristown and East Norriton fire departments, battled the blaze in the 1400 block of Sterigere Street for approximately an hour and forty minutes before the scene was brought under control. Much of the fire was contained within an hour, and the damage was confined to just the one home and attached garage. Chief Guirate applauded the effort by his firefighters and also that of the two Norristown firefighters who arrived on the scene early and entered the building to rescue a woman trapped inside. "They did an awesome job," said Chief Guirate. "If they didn't do what they did, we'd be talking…
Monday, January 14, 2013
The new hospital in East Norriton presents a few challenges to area firefighters, but Norriton Fire Engine Company is up to the challenge.
According to Montgomery Media, Norriton Fire Engine Company has been preparing for the inevitable challenges presented by the new state-of-the-art Einstein Medical Center Montgomery in East Norriton. "In 2009, after they broke ground for construction, the fire company began a series of preparatory steps: site inspections, safety inspections, walk-throughs and pre-plan drilling," East Norriton Fire Marshal Frank Ludwig told Montgomery Media. "This got everyone familiar with the layout of the hospital and the exterior as well." Ludwig says the risks of a serious emergency involving the hospital are pretty low, but the department is ready if it happens. Firefighters have reportedly been completing extra training in high-angle and confined-…
Friday, November 2, 2012
East Norriton Fire Department is reaching out to help communities in New York and New Jersey who were devastated by Hurricane Sandy.
While our area saw some damage from Hurricane and some residents are still without power, communities in New York and New Jersey saw much more devastation. Homes and lives were lost and residents of those communities are still struggling to pick up the pieces. The East Norriton Fire Department is hoping to help our neighbors in need by collecting donations of money and supplies to send to these storm ravaged communities. According to Fire Captain Derek Thomas, area residents wishing to help can drop off donations of water, non-perishables, batteries, hand warmers, flashlights, toiletries and blankets at the Norriton Fire Engine Company, 2830 Swede Road in East Norriton, this Saturday, Nov. 3, from 2 to 8 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 4, from 8 a.m…
Tuesday, September 25, 2012
Norriton Fire Engine Company urges all residents to get chimneys and heating elements inspected and cleaned for the coming season.
Several units from Norriton Fire Engine Company responded to 2400 block of Merrie Claude Drive in East Norriton late Monday afternoon for a reported chimney fire. On the scene, firefighters inspected the chimney and determined that a bird nesting in the flue was to blame. According to NFEC Captain Derek Thomas, firefighters took apart the chimney to remove the obstruction. There were no injuries reported in the incident and little damage to the home. "We recommend that everybody, now that the heating season is upon [us], get your chimneys inspected and cleaned and look out for all your other heating components," advised Thomas